GPCSD Media Release: All St. Patrick students to be temporarily relocated for the 2017-18 school year
At the Regular Board meeting on August 21, 2017, the Board of Trustees made the decision to temporarily relocate all St. Patrick Catholic School students and staff for the 2017/2018 school year.
“Due to the rapid deterioration in building quality over the summer, and our desire to provide a safe environment for students & staff, we decided to move students prior to the start of the school year,” commented Board Chair Eldon Wyant. Although the District was able to manage the air quality in St. Patrick School in 2016-17, recent air sampling tests conducted on July 5th and August 8th indicated there was a significant deterioration in air quality between the two samples. The safest way to remediate the building is to remove people from the building while remediation occurs.
District Administration, Principals, and Staff met on August 22 to discuss various solutions for families, with the goal to keep as many students together as possible. Students are directed as follows:
- Pre-Kindergarten to Grade 7 Students
- All Pre-K to Grade 7 St. Patrick students will be accommodated at Holy Cross Catholic School, with FREE yellow bus transportation being provided to all Pre-K to Grade 7 St. Patrick students.
- Bus routes will be made available the last week of August. Four new bus routes are being created and buses will drive through the St. Patrick attendance area, pick up students, and transport them to Holy Cross.
- Grade 8 Students
- All Grade 8 St. Patrick students will be accommodated at Mother Teresa Catholic School, with FREE yellow bus transportation being provided to all Grade 8 St. Patrick students.
- Bus routes will be made available the last week of August. Students will board the elementary Mother Teresa Montessori bus in the St. Patrick attendance area and be transported to Mother Teresa.
Students will be transported directly to Holy Cross and Mother Teresa. Buses will pick up and drop off students in the St. Patrick attendance area.
Parents will receive a personalized letter that outlines the best Bus Route/Bus Stop. This will be mailed to families the last week of August. It will also be available at St. Patrick, Holy Cross and Mother Teresa School. Information will also be posted at www.gpcsd.ca
Teachers & Support Staff
Staff hired to teach at St. Patrick will be transferred to Holy Cross/Mother Teresa. They are currently packing up and they look forward to meeting students at their new school.
Michele Allen & Lee Boylan will be Co-Principals at Holy Cross.
Henri Chauvet is the Principal at Mother Teresa.
School Supplies & Options
Families are asked to bring any supplies they have purchased for the 2017-18 school year. Students will have their timetables adjusted but options will remain virtually the same. Band will be offered to students in both locations.
Celtic Academy is currently being offered at Holy Cross for students that might be interested.
Families are invited to drop by their school during normal business hours to tour the school.
Holy Cross Catholic School
11011 90 Street
Mother Teresa Catholic School
7501 Willow Drive
Business Hours: 8:40 AM – 3:15PM
For any questions or concerns, please stop by or call St. Patrick School at (780) 539-7434, Holy Cross at (780) 538-0077, Mother Teresa at (780) 814-9732, or the Catholic Education Centre at (780) 532-3013. St. Patrick’s office will remain open to assist families.