AHS 2017-2018 Influenza Program
Date: October 13, 2017
To: Peace Wapiti, Public & Catholic School Districts
From: Donna Matier
RE: AHS Influenza Program 2017-2018
Messaging for the 2017-2018 Influenza Program
• The 2017/18 Influenza Immunization Program will begin October 23, 2017.
• Getting immunized is one of the best ways to prevent influenza. It’s a good idea for everyone
in Alberta to get immunized, even healthy people not at risk of complications. If you have
influenza, you can be sick for 5 to 10 days, but it can take weeks to fully recover. By protecting
yourself, you help protect people around you who are at risk of complications from influenza. If
more people are protected, less people will get sick from influenza.
• Influenza immunizations will be offered, free of charge, to all Albertans six months of age and
older, through AHS clinics, pharmacies and physicians.
• Plan ahead to arm yourself and your family against influenza this season!
• Influenza immunizations will not be offered in schools this year. AHS would like to ensure that
all individuals and families have the opportunity to receive the influenza vaccine at one of our
mass immunization clinics. Influenza immunization clinic dates and times can be found on the
AHS website: http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/influenza/influenza.aspx
• AHS would like to ensure that all individuals and families have the opportunity to receive the
influenza vaccine at one of our mass immunization clinics outlined below.
• If parents or school staff have any questions or require additional information about times and
locations of influenza clinics they can call their local Public Health Centre.